market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Keeping Greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Keeping Greens
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:45:06 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/05 7:59:45 PM Central Daylight Time, igg AT igg.com writes:
2 gallon zip locks or what?
Our markets do not allow us to sell anything in sealed bags, or pre bagged products, so I use a food grade bag (plastic) I believe it is classified as 17 gal bag.  Dump directly form the spinner to the bag and use a twisty to seal the bag.  Usually I can get about 5# in a bag and this way when we fill our market baskets that we sell out of I don't have any large quantity out in the warm air getting wilty.  We hand fill the smaller bags in front of the customer.  Lots of times the customer will say give me a hand full of spinach, arugula, or something else that will work in the salad mix. Just keep it simple.  Our display table baskets are oval baskets about a foot deep and 24" oval, with white cloth liners that we can wash every week.

Phil