market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heater for small hoop house

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heater for small hoop house
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:38:11 -0400

I had used salamanders in my hoop houses years ago, 100000 btu, they work but
tended to
misfire a lot and needed to be checked during the night. Hauling K1 can get
messy, if
you go with a kerosene heater bypass the attached fuel tank and install a
copper fuel
line directly to a 55 or better yet 275 gallon tank. I never used propane
salamanders
but have bought 100 gallon propane fuel tanks which are unbelievably
expensive at the
moment...I used 55 gallon barrel wood heaters in hoophouses I had clearances
as close
as 2 feet from the poly. I used a sheet metal shield just over the heater and
flue pipe
to keep the poly from melting and it worked well... Look for a used hot air
oil furnace
from someones home that they are replacing, nothing beats a vented furnace in
producing
quality plants.... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.