market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heater for small hoop house

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heater for small hoop house
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:47:35 -0400

We used a salamander kerosene heater for a 14 x 20 hoophouse one spring for
raising seedlings. Although some expressed concerns about emissions, the
plants did great. Our reason for getting a kerosene one was that we could
get one that we could hook a thermostat to for less money than the propane
ones with a thermostat. I don't remember the kind of ignition necessary, but
if you have to push a button to start it, an external thermostat won't work.
Grainger had the thermostats. We got the salamander on Ebay.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
66 Jabez Allen Road
Peru NY 12972