market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] off-topic---chimneys and woodstoves

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Errol Castens <castens AT peoplepc.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] off-topic---chimneys and woodstoves
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:00:38 -0500

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:20:49PM -0600, Errol Castens wrote:

> One thing more: You probably already have the front of the fireplace closed
> off with sheet metal or some such covering. You'll need to keep this in
> place or seal the damper opening around the stovepipe to make sure you're
> not losing a lot of already-paid-for heat up the masonry flue.

He did not say that there was a fireplace associated with the chimney;
I assumed not, you assumed so. I can now imagine that he is talking
about running the stove pipe into the chimney through the fireplace and
that the flue pipe is not well sealed to the chimney. And that the
fireplace is siphoning great quantities of air. Making it even more
important to have a ready supply of outside air.

My chimney has no fireplace; it was built for wood/coal burning stoves
with one flue connection in one room and one in another.

> Is there any reason a woodstove should NOT be place with a stovepipe going
> directly into the chimney? Should there be a elbow?

Off topic, but of great interest to me! Especially with the approach
of the heating season.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 456 days 2 hours 59 minutes