market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] getting a new farm insured

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] getting a new farm insured
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 04:49:24 -0400

Brigette Leach wrote:

I'm curious to know what state you are in Lucy.

Ohio.

And we are in the process of getting insured for the farm by state farm (they have no argument that we are farmers and we have 10 years of records and IRS F forms to prove we do indeed farm for a living) but it seems out agent is a doofus and for some reason my husband (whose name all the policies are in right now) will not drop this guy and go with another state farm agent in the area who is much much better. And right now I will not ask him to do so as he has more than enough on his plate moving a whole farm while still trying to do farmers' markets along with daily surprises (yesterday we discovered a gas leak and had to get the natural gas line taken out and service shut down which means we now have to buy a new heating system before it gets cold-will likely get a wood furnace, cheaper and far safer than natural gas IMHO).

Moving one's farming operations in September is not easy and I do not know what we will do when all the refrigeration leaves the land where we are harvesting and goes to its' new home where we have no crops growing. it will make harvest days more complicated, that;s fer sure.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Farm
Eaton, OH