market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato blight

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Taylor <richard AT angelicorganics.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato blight
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:32:28 -0500

Copper is applied at a rate of 2 lb per 2/3 acre ( all our fields are 2/3 acre) using Nu-Film as a sticker.
SO: 2 lb copper / 4 oz Nu-Film / 50 gal water per field.

The nozzle delivers 9.5 gallons per minute at 180 psi. Higher pressures are related to smaller droplet sizes, which will more thoroughly coat the plant.
Ground speed is 2.25 MPH.

We do this once a week until harvest begins.

NOTE that there is a 24-hour restricted entry interval after applying this product (ie don't go in the field). Trellising and any other work should be scheduled before/after this interval.
Always wear goggles, especially when conducting the spray. It'll drift into your face once or twice.
It is required to have an eyewash kit available to anyone handling that field.

Storox is applied at the rate of 2 gallons/field with yucca extract as a sticker.
2 gal Storox / 2 oz yucca / 50 gal water per field.

Pressure and transit settings are the same as for copper.
The restriction interval is one hour, and you still need goggles.

remember, just because it's organic doesn't mean it's perfectly harmless. It's like using a sharp 'organic' harvest knife.

Richard
http://www.angelicorganics.com
northern Illinois

Message: 4