market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato blight

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "logrock" <logrock AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato blight
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:26:56 -0400

"I think straw mulch would probably have a similar effect."

We used a thick straw mulch this year on approximately 300 heirloom
tomato plants. We had a very wet season, so I am not sure if the mulch
slowed down blight. But it did seem to provide summer housing complete
with a free buffet for a whole lot of crickets. I never knew that
crickets would eat tomatoes, but we observed it over and over again this
year. And I know they were living in the straw mulch because if I ever
put a bucket or my hand down on the mulch, out they came.

In fairness to straw mulch, we also attempted to used a modified Florida
weave on 1/2 the plants, and we used cages on the other 1/2. The
Florida weave plants were put out mostly in April, and the caged plants
were put out in May. The modifed Florida weave was pretty much a
disaster, so lots of fruit was on or very near the ground. And these
did seem to have more cricket damage than the later planings supported
by cages.

Patty
Zone 7, west of Atlanta