market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato blight

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato blight
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:54:09 -0400

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 07:23:28 -0700, you wrote:

>We have late blight here and there are a few supposedly resistant varieties,
>but the main strategy is to keep water off teh leaves. No overhead watering
>(I have a drip system) and a plastic cover to keep the rain off, so a
>greehouse or hoophouse type thing. The disease spreads by spores being
>splashed up off teh ground onto the lower leaves by water drops.

Would a plastic mulch be helpful?

I've read (in a Cornell Extension Fact Sheet that I cannot
find at the moment) that the spores can also be spread by
the wind, which is very discouraging indeed.

Almost all my tomatoes are dead now from late blight. For
us, it's an annoyance although a fairly large one. For
someone depending on selling them, it could be disastrous.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania