market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] potato beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Tannen" <david AT centerville.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <creationsoap AT boone.net>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] potato beetles
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:30:26 -0500

In addition to picking off the beetles be sure to look on the underside of the leaves for the eggs.  They are grouped together and are orange.  Just smash them with your fingers.  When picking off the beetles I drop them into soapy water and they drown.
There has been a lot of research controlling fungal diseases, such as blight, by using mustard as a cover crop.  There is a chemical component of mustard and cruciferous vegetables called isothicyanates that inhibits fungal diseases.  I will be trying this method by planting mustard as a cover crop this year.  There was an article about this last month at www.newfarm.org.

David