market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jeez...beezzzz!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Janine Lynne" <schapin1 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jeez...beezzzz!
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 11:00:38 -0700

We go to the docks or the butcher store, buy a large hunk of filleted fish or a bone with a lot of meat still attached. Tie it up so it's hanging off the ground and directly underneath place a large bucket filled with soap and water. Do this as far from people as possible (it's an attractant) They gorge themselves on the meat/fish (fish works best, but rotting chicken or beef will work too), unable to fly they will drop into the bucket and drown. This won't get rid of them all, but keeps the population managable. You might need to replace the fish/meat in a few days while you still have a lot of yellow jackets around.

Another wise old tip from Grandma, but I've heard the organic vineyards to this as well around here.

Hope this works as well for you,
Janine

Anyone out there have any good organic solutions to extreme bee activity?
I've got yellow jackets EVERYWHERE. I pulled some weeds last week and
disturbed a ground nest and within seconds got stung 12 times. I've lost
close to half my raspberry crop to bee frenzy. I've set up the yellow
jacket traps with 0% success........HELP!!!!
Sora at Paradise Valley Organics