market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Acres per person

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JOHN A HENDRICKSON <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Acres per person
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:40:32 -0500

I think this is a great question.

For what it's worth, I am in the process of completing a study on the
economics of small- to medium-scale fresh market, organic vegetable
production (in Wisconsin). The six market garden operations in this
study (defined for my project as those with less than 3 acres in
production) averaged 1.8 full time equivalent workers per acre during
the growing season and just under 2000 total labor hours per acre. The
market gardeners in this project performed anywhere from 33% to 98% of
the total labor hours in their enterprise themselves and the average was
60%. This is admitedly a small number of farms from which to draw
strong conclusions.

Let me clarify that the 1.8 full time equivalent workers does not
necessarily mean that there was more than one farmer/manager. It is
possible for one person to put in the equivalent hours of more than one
full time person. As you all know, market growers often work very long
hours and the summer days are often not long enough to get all the work
done that there is to do!

As others have noted, the answer to oldtimin's question depends alot on
a person's age and body, exactly what size and type of rototiller is
being used, what mix of crops are being planted, and other variables
(for example it would be easier for one person to cultivate a nice sandy
loam than a clay soil).

As for me, currently a part-time grower, I would not relish doing more
than an acre by myself with just a tiller but it is likely possible to
manage up to 2 acres if one is creative and efficient. Above that and
I'd really want some additional horsepower (in the form of a tractor or
horses).

And the catch is that while it may be possible to till more than an acre
and get some crops planted, it is staying on top of the weeds and, even
more significantly, being able to harvest everything that might be even
more of a challenge.

And none of this even begins to address the issue of the long term
effects on soil structure and soil health of relying on a rototiller for
all tillage operations.

-John
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems

Does anyone have any suggestion as to the maximum number of acres per person one can maintain growing garden vegetables without tractors. I have a large rototiller and will also be using draft horses next year. We took a jump in size this year and am just wondering how far we can grow by just changing techniques.Also any suggestions on time saving techniques would be great. BTW, we are doing this organically.
Oldtimin