market-farming - [Market-farming] Acres per person

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Acres per person
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:18:44 -0500

Oldtimin -

Are you talking about a "country garden" size garden
for home food production, canning, and freezing?

Or you be talking about a market garden to raise crops for
the local market?

What was the square footage before and what you got
in mind as far as "jumping to" with those draft horses and
roto-tiller.

Is that a walking tractor with multiple attachment
options or just a cheap-o roto-tiller?

If you can lay out the canvass, I'm sure you can get
people to offer suggestions.

Steve Diver

Does anyone have any suggestion as to the maximum
number of acres per person one can maintain growing
garden vegetables without tractors. I have a large rototiller
and will also be using draft horses next year. We took a
jump in size this year and am just wondering how far we
can grow by just changing techniques.Also any suggestions
on time saving techniques would be great.

BTW, we are doing this organically.

Oldtimin