market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Cleaning stations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JOHN A HENDRICKSON <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: guyclark AT socket.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Cleaning stations
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:36:46 -0500

Guy,

The packing shed layout publication from the Healthy Farmers Healthy
Profits page at the University of Wisconsin has already been mentioned
but they also have information on building a "hands-free wash station."
See:

http://bse.wisc.edu/HFHP/tipsheets_html/hndsfree.htm

I know many growers that have built a simple table top out of 2x4s and
hardware cloth for washing and draining. As you plan your area, keep in
mind where the water will go when using such a table or tubs are drained.

As for a roof, I know some growers that use the same easy-up type
awnings that are used at farmers' markets. Wind can be any issue,
however. I know another farming couple that (because the type of
building they were most familiar and comfortable building was a
hoophouse), bought a hoophouse without plastic and then just put shade
cloth over the top and kept the sides open. I'd would not recommend
using PVC.

-John