market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Certify with the FSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer HotPop" <txbeefarmer AT hotpop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Certify with the FSA
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 08:58:37 -0500

Most likely, you are using land that was originally designated for some other crop.  If it was originally setup for another crop, you can still grow a "garden", if its no more than 2 acres, without having to change the crop designation for the rest of the land.  If its more than 2 acres, you must redesignate that part and change the overall crop acreage for the larger crop or loose the crop designation for the whole thing, if they catch you. In that case, you'd have a mess on your hands.  You'd have to start over as if you were a new farmer or had changed to a totally new crop - not good.  It's better to keep the garden below two acres and put the rest of the garden on the land designated for the house, barns, equip, etc.  Here, I have a little under 2 acres for the garden which is still designated as cotton land, but no changes are necessary because it's under two acres.  The rest of the garden is on the 5 acres set aside for the house, barn, and equipment.  Not sure if the 2 acre rule is nation wide, so check it out.

Hope this helps.

Mark (West Texas - Zone 7b)