market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE: Asparagus and Weeds/ and GUINEAS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: Asparagus and Weeds/ and GUINEAS
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:45:39 -0400

On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:04:41 -0400, you wrote:

>Animals walking and pooping amoung fresh vegetables is a no no.. One
>chicken will spread more than 10 pounds of poop around your garden vegies
>every month.

One chicken - 10 lbs a month? Gee, that seems like an awful
lot to me.

I've had chickens. I had 12 of them. They stayed in their
coop (which was about 10' x 12') plus their fenced 'run'
(the run was about 10' x 15'). We used a deep litter system
(a thick bed of straw and hay) in the coop and they were
indoors pretty much all winter. We cleaned the coop in the
spring.

If the chickens made 10 lbs of manure per month per chicken,
that would have been 144 lbs of manure per month in the
coop/run throughout the winter. So even if you only
consider five months of the year as being 'winter' (this was
in Northwestern NJ), that would have meant that we cleaned
720 lbs of manure out of the coop each spring!

There's just no way on the face of the earth that we cleaned
any 720 lbs of manure out of that coop in spring.

If you took the entire year, that would have been a total of
1,728 lbs of chicken manure deposited in the run+coop over
the course of a year. No.... no way.

Pat

--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.