market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: Tomato Stakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: Tomato Stakes
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:36:34 -0400

Hi Tom.
I am using 6' or 7' t-posts every 2nd or 3rd plant - with two more
posts angled outward at the ends of the beds. These heirloom tomatoes
easily get 6-8' tall, so i really love my concrete re-mesh cages the best
( weighted down with large, 20' saplings woven thru and across the cages.
Sigh.....the price of metal has made making so many more cages out of
reach for this year.

I have used wooden supports (stakes, hardwood and other small trees) for
both pole beans and indeterminate tomatoes in the past since moving here.
Because of the vine length on the heirloom pole beans, the wind toppled
them built several different ways for three years straight! I am sold on
the more lasting metal suppots these days when i can either find or
afford to add in.
Toni

Toni,
What do you use for stakes with when you Florida-weave and what length?
In the past only once (luckily) did we loose to wind about 250' of
indeterminates that were woven on 54" wooden stakes.
Tom