market-farming - [Market-farming] Rhubarb harvesting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "" <herbthyme AT simcon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Rhubarb harvesting
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 08:09:18 -0400

Does anyone have a special technique for harvesting rhubarb?

I have always twisted and just pulled too. It works for me but I don't know
about the discarding of teh green stems. THey will turn red if you leave
them and then you can harvest those. When the plant gets thinned out, I
leave what is left and last year I got a second picking in August I think it
was. I have always been told to leave some on the plant for nurishment or
whatever to get it through to the next year. What ever the reason was, it
sounds good so I just do it and I have beautiful huge rhubard every year!
Almost time to pick some here!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh