market-farming - [Market-farming] Roundup not harmless

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Roundup not harmless
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:00:44 -0500

I haven't come across any research that shows that Roundup poisons people -
but I have come across research that notes that Roundup harms earthworms,
and the aliveness of the earth. The approach that I think is all important
for continuing to live on the planet is to work with the aliveness of the
earth, not to focus solely on the item that we want destroyed. If we focus
only on one species, plant, bug, etc, we will end up killing more than we
plan to.

I think both approaches might end up with some similar practices - but the
approach of working with the aliveness of the earth encourages one to look
at the wider repercussions of our actions, and their affect on the
ecosystem, and the minute networks occuring in the soil.

Roundup destroys these networks, as it kills the "selected" weeds.

How do we work with the whole system, so that we achieve our ends of growing
food, and enhancing life?

In the criteria I use, Roundup is not a viable choice.

Jill Bussiere, Wisconsin