market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 28, Issue 10

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 28, Issue 10
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 11:06:26 -0400

On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:53:49 -0400, you wrote:

>The "American bamboo" seems to be "Japanese Knotweed." Perhaps the
>best organic solution I've seen is to get rid of/dig up serious stubble,
>and cover the area with heavy tarp for a couple of years, being sure to
>keep surrounding area regularly mowed to keep any upstarts from taking
>hold.

That's a really tough plant. I see it all the time along
stream banks.

It's attractive growing along steep stream banks where maybe
most plants wouldn't grow well, but I suppose it's taken the
place of native species. It certainly has the reputation of
being a bad actor, a very invasive plant.

Here's a British webpage about it:

http://www.cabi-bioscience.org/html/japanese_knotweed_alliance.htm#prob

Very discouraging - they show it pushing up through blacktop
and invading someone's LIVING ROOM!

Here's an American website about it:

http://www.invasivespecies.gov/profiles/japktwd.shtml

Can your cousin learn to love it, maybe? It's not edible,
AFAIK, and I know no other use for it either, except
possibly stabilizing steep banks.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.