market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Squash blossoms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Squash blossoms
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 19:13:11 -0500

Regards to the list:

Our pattipans yielded the most blossoms. The blooms close up at night,
but try to pick them before they open the first time - the younger they
are the better. This winter, I read something about picking them when
the squash is just tiny and still attached to the bloom. I plan to try
that this year.

We grew the plants in the hoophouse and transplanted in a row about 4
feet apart, one time. They were early white pattypans and they lasted
until frost. I don't recall having any pests. These were huge plants
and mostly bushy. You'll probably need gloves to harvest because
they're kinda stickery.

We just enjoyed our first "mess" of morels. Gotta go hunt some more!

Marie in Missouri