market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash blossoms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Cherry Tree Farms" <ctfarms AT helicon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash blossoms
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 10:34:46 -0400

Hi Adriana,

Having sold a few to chefs, I will throw my 2 cents in to select
questions that weren't just accidents:
1: Did well with Patty Pan.
4: Bi-weekly planting
5: Never tried trellising, don't know anyone who has.
6: Pests - A rifle works better on ground hogs than row covers (maybe this
is a local thing)
7: Pick the day before they open, evening seems to work well.
8: Air cool, slight spray of water to maintain plant moisture the following
morning before shipping
9: Pack loosely, Clamshells work well with a slightly moistened paper towel
in the bottom.
Paper sacks work also but present a less professional appearance.
10: Here Chefs buy by the dozen, regional (west PA) price runs $3.50-$3.75
per dozen.

Hope this helps,
Doyle