market-farming - [Market-farming] Squash blossoms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Squash blossoms
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 02:17:24 -0500

I have 3 chefs requesting squash blossoms this summer. I have come up with lots of conflicting information when plowing the web, so I suspect there is no single best way to grow this crop. I'd like to hear your experience or suggestions regarding:

1. Seed variety - Johnny's Selected Seeds recommends Costata Romanesco as a good variety because of the many male blossoms. I have seen other references to the use of unimproved Mexican pumpkin varieties because they have a sturdier blossom. One market grower recommended growing pattypan squash for blossoms.
2. Yield - what yield can I expect per plant per week?
3. Plant spacing - typical recommendations call for multiple seeds in "hills". I noticed the Costata Romanesco package recommends linear planting 9-12" apart which sounds tight given the typical size of zucchini plants.
4. Timing - do you recommend bi-weekly or monthly sowing to provide continuous harvest throughout the season?
5. Trellising - is there any benefit to some sort of trellising. I know zucchinis are bush types but I seem to recall reading about growing summer squashes on slightly raised wire grids.
6. Pests - are row covers advisable
7. Harvest - do you harvest the flowers when they are fully opened or at the bud stage. How frequently should you harvest? Time of day?
8. Storage - is it best to air cool the blossoms or can they be hydro cooled.
9. Packing - what is the best way to pack them.
10. Pricing - my search comes up with pricing ranging from 3/$1.00 to $.99 apiece...

Thanks,
Adriana Gutierrez