market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Growbags

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Growbags
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:26:53 -0400

Grow bags were popular in the USA in the 1980's. I have used them and they
grow great tomatoes. They need alot of soluble fertilizer at each watering
to maintain a yield. After harvest the mix is discarded or some times
used to grow lettuce then tossed. It allowed us to always have fresh
soilless mix free of disease, insects and soluble salts. You can still buy
loose fill 2.8cu bags from Fafard, Sungro and Promix and do the same thing
just that the bags are shorter than the old grow bags. If I were to grow
tomatoes today with bags I would choose the mixes with composted pine
bark, they are much looser and plants growing in that mix have a much
better whiter looking root system... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton NJ.