market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 27, Issue 21, Anyone have any ideas on semi-automated trash removal from the bed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 27, Issue 21, Anyone have any ideas on semi-automated trash removal from the bed
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:26:01 -0500

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 09:00:22PM -0400, MTrynoski AT aol.com wrote:
> I have seen an interesting tool for trash removal on a ridge till system
> but would work for beds if you can find a tool wide enough. It was one
> large (wide) cultivator sweep on a horse drawn one row cultivator. They
> disced in oats in the fall and then formed the ridges. Come spring they
> "sliced" off the top layer of winter kill oats with the wide sweep and
> planted the new crop. The trash was pushed off into the alley between the
> ridge. I would think a similar tool could be fabricated for tractor drawn.

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried various 3-pt mounted things but haven't come up with
anything that scrapes the tops uniformly, not too deep and not too
shallow.

I experimented today with a garden rake head attached to the draw bar
of my shaper. Some success; haven't given up on it yet. It does
require some one to follow the tractor and clear the rake
occasionally.

Incidentally, the shaper didn't do a whole lota good on planter
operation; smoothed dust is still dust. Need some moisture to hold it
together.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 294 days 8 hours 26 minutes