market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Organic fertilizers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Organic fertilizers
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:43:21 -0400

On Apr 14, 2005, at 11:35 AM, "" <herbthyme AT simcon.net> wrote:

Do you know what nutrients you actually need? If not, get a soil test
first; no sense spending money on something that's the wrong balance
for your soil, and might actually do more harm than good.

In answer to this response, I am feeding the plants that I plan on selling, so there is no soil to test. My base is just ProMix and I thought that they would like an extra boost ever once in awhile. I am not certified or anything, but I try to practice the organic method to the best of my ability. Only with my edibles so far. I can't afford that road with my flowers. I use miricle grow in low doses everytime I feed my hanging baskets and flats of flower plants. And I just felt that I should also be feeding my other veggie plants and herbs as well.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about transplants still in the flats or pots. I use a compost-based mix that has enough nutrients for about four weeks; plants that are in the flats longer than that get a seaweed/fish emulsion mix watered in once a week or so, and that seems to be plenty. I like Saltwater Farms' mix as that is 3-2-2 which is a better balance than some; but there are a lot of similar things on the market. I use McEnroe potting soil for the mix, but that is hard to find most places; again there are other similar things around, and as potting soil is expensive to ship I'd try to find a source near you.