market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] edamame/fava beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: MaggsMD AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] edamame/fava beans
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:56:27 EDT

Sally Fallon writes

"Fava beans contain a substance, which is not neutralized by soaking, sprouting or fermenting, that can cause a type of life-threatening anemia in persons with an inherited susceptibility and are therefore best avoided."  p.495 Nourishing Traditions

Now it does not say "best avoided by those with an inherited susceptibility."

Before reading that we wanted to grow fava beans, but decided not to based on the above statement.  We polled our CSA members and they agreed to be satisfied with whatever decision we made on whether or not to grow them.  One member thought we should take Fallon's advice....so we have decided not to grow them until we get information until we learn information on why we should.

Margaret