market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] edamame/fava beans/Fallon

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] edamame/fava beans/Fallon
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 05:53:06 -0400

I suspect, based on the fact that a lot of people have been eating a lot of soy, some of them for generations; and the fact that many of these people are healthy but some are not; that neither of these claims is correct.

Hmmm. Preparation is still the issue with soy. There is no issue with traditional 'fermented' preparations (of which tofu is NOT one, but is still nutritionally sound). My questions revolves around seed that is sold as 'edamame' and plan soy seed that some people are growing and selling as edamame.

My question is 'is vegetable soy nutritionally different from standard soy bean' for humans. (The phytate issue mentioned earlier.) My GOOGLEing is NOT finding an answer to this question. It's an important one, though, because you can buy a bushel of soy bean seed for little more than you'd pay for 5lbs of edamame seed at Johnny's.

-Allan