market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] unwanted critters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] unwanted critters
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:40:34 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:56:51 -0500, Tom at Limerock wrote:

> Maybe a little off from growing but here goes.
>
> Any clever thoughts on how can we keep unwanted critters, mainly skunk and
> racoon, from getting in the one shed we allow our outdoor cats to use for
> shelter/food/water? It is a small shed which sets on concrete blocks (one
> block high). I cut a cathole about, 5"x7" right by the entry door. There
> is one 12" step up to the door and cathole. Call me crazy, but cats are
> good people too and do keep some of the rodent population under control.

Tom,

Do a little more research and you may learn that
coons and skunks are better rodent control agents
than your cats will ever be.

Both are also serious insect predators, though
skunks tend to pursue bugs more ravenously
than raccoons.

On the whole the conflict probably exists that
your cats endanger the coon and skunk offspring
and they are watching out for their own territory.

Keep the cats indoors and let Nature take care
of itself.

That's my advice.

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming