market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cutting Celery- Sticky Note

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cutting Celery- Sticky Note
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:36:12 -0500

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:03:04 -0600, you wrote:

>I was sorting through my 'Seeds File' and found a yellow sticky note.
>On it is written ... try growing "Cutting Celery" - does well in hot
>humid climates. It's in my handwriting, but I don't remember anything
>else about it. (scary, huh?)
>
>Does anyone know of a source for this, or perhaps a Botanical Name?

I grow it and we sell the seeds (although the seeds are
purchased from a wholesaler, not grown by me). Other seed
sellers handle it as well.

I have an article on my website about it, in fact:

http://www.containerseeds.com/articles/leafceleryarticle.html

(This gives you various common names, and the botanical
name, as well as growing directions, and a picture.)

I think it's a very, very useful plant - but not eaten as a
vegetable, by itself. I use the chopped leaves anywhere I'd
use celery as a flavoring: soups, stews, pasta sauce, etc.
It holds its flavor well when dried too.

I think it tastes just like regular celery leaves, maybe a
tad stronger.

Since I wrote that article, I've also grown leaf celery
indoors this winter, on a sunny windowsill. No problems, it
did fine.

I thought it was an absolute cinch to grow, nothing to it.
In fact, it outgrew weeds and survived an army of slugs and
snails last summer.

Our summers (especially last year) are fairly cool and wet.
I don't know how it would do in a very hot, dry place.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.