market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] RE: cutting celery

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex McGregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] RE: cutting celery
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:24:59 -0500

Skip and Cookie Glover in Georgia grow and sell celery by the stalk. It's
small and strong tasting, but a variety that can be grown in our heat
without constant irrigation. They sell it as "Gourmet Cooking Celery."
(The "G" word always ads to the price and interest.) They told me that the
first time they took it to a market the first customer said, "That doesn't
look like the celery in the stores." Cookie told me she replied in a
conspiratorial voice, "That's right. This is cooking celery. The stores
only carry eating celery." She then went on to describe how to use it in
cooking and sold that customer a stalk and word got around because they
were willing to spend the time to explain "what it is and how to use it."

It's all in the presentation.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm