market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: calendar

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HERBKDR AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: calendar
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:52:21 EST

Our calendar was supposed to be a spoof on the movie "Calendar Girls."  There were no totally nude shots, just farmers with strategically placed flowers, fruits and vegetables. And, believe me they were photos of real people...not young sexy girls.  Many of the farmers did not want it printed thinking that it was not "family" oriented.  They wanted a "farm" calendar with photos of some of our beautiful farms and the items that they produce.  There was quite a boycot, with some farmers hanging red ribbons on their tents to let people know that they disagreed with the calendar. I think there was mixed feelings amongst the customers.  If the market decides to do another calendar my guess would be that they will not go the "nude" route again even though it was tastfully done.

The calendar was printed to bring in more revenue for the market.  I don't believe that they were looking for new customers. I will find out how "we" did at our annual meeting this week and report back.

Karin
Herb'n Renewal