market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] strawberry flavor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] strawberry flavor
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:45:07 -0600

Varieties may be part of the problem, but I think picking at a
less-than-really-ripe stage is a larger part. We grew Chandler, which is one
of the varieties used for those huge, gorgeous berries we see in the
supermarkets, in our high tunnels two years ago. We got those huge gorgeous
berries, and we picked them ripe for sale the next day. Customers LOVED
them. They had a GREAT taste. But, we picked them ripe into the quart
containers, and transported them only as far as our Farmers' Market. We got
a really good price for them too! They don't develop any sugars once you
pick them. So, the ones in the store, picked at am earlier stage for
shipping, never have the chance to develop all the sugars that make
strawberries so delectable. Interestingly, the berries grow hydroponically
here in the winter, have the same problem - not much taste, and not sweet -
although beautiful. My theory is that our winters just don't have enough
sunshine. Although restaurants purchase them, we bought them only once -
and the chickens got most of them.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm