market-farming - [Market-farming] planning spreadsheets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steven Rogers" <singingpigfarm AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market-farming" <Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] planning spreadsheets
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:34:32 -0800

Steve Diver,
I use a spreadsheet I downloaded for free from, I believe, the University of Mantoba. I don't know
why none of the universities in the US offer free stuff like this. The spreadsheet is called "Farmplan".
It runs in Excel.I don't remember how I got there. I recently started using Quickbooks and it looks like I will be
able to pull out costing reports from it. That is what I use for budgeting money type of planning.
As far as production planning--what goes where and when.  I tend think in pictures
and drawing them out on paper, with overlays for different crop successions, makes things
clear for me. Most people look at my stack of dogeared diagrams and are instantly confused.
I visualize what the field will look like when is planted and then I put it on paper where I
work out the details of how many rows/item, how long a certain crop will be in the field, when
I will replant and with what.. That probably didn't help anyone. Let's just say I am a little
quirky and leave it at that.
Thanks for the nice comments about me and Portland. I really love Portland and it was
a hard decision  to buy a farm 60 miles away. My goal in 3-5 years is to buy a condo
close to downtown so that I can enjoy the nightlife and not have to drive back to the farm.
Several of my customers have my farm name on the menu. There are at least 10 very busy,
viable farmers markets operating the the metro area. It is gratifying to go to a farmers event
of some type and have somone come up to me and say "I heard you speak at so 'n so event
and you inspired me to start farming."  Thankfully no one has gone broke and come looking for
me with a weapon! LOL.

Steven Rogers
singingpigfarm AT earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.