market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 25, Issue 23

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mark Ritter" <mnr200 AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 25, Issue 23
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:31:06 -0600

We also have a seed company and have about 80 tomato varieties of the 650
offerings we have.. I somewhat agree here but need to interject it depends
on the heirloom and the rarity and how many people are growing it . we buy
in the 1-5 lb quanities and get heirloom tomato seeds from about 25 dollars
a lb all the way up to 450 dollars a lb.... the more demand that occurs the
more that is grown of that variety ... for instance brandywine types, are
now more common and cheaper in seed price than they were 5 years ago... we
are now growing some of our own of the more expensive seed to keep prices
down...Mark

www.botanikka.com

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:38:51 -0500, you wrote:

>>From my experience, there might be a small increase in costs. It seems to
>me that the seeds are not quite as cheap as hybrids.

Whoa! That's a shock.

I have a small, specialized seed selling company. I buy
(and sell) both heirlooms and hybrids - I'm presently buying
and selling more than 150 different vegetable, garden fruit,
herb, and edible flower seeds.

The hybrid seeds are - on the whole - WAY more expensive
than the heirlooms. WAY more. WAY WAY more.

Pat