market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] veggie crates and coolers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] veggie crates and coolers
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 07:30:41 -0500

Try http://www.buckhorninc.com they are a plastic company that makes a lot of different types of crates for a lot of different kinds of applications including crates that hold produce. I bought 50 gray stacking and nesting crates about 4 years ago from them for something like $7.50 each. I love them, they are easy to clean (a wooden bushel basket cannot really be well cleaned), they stack in the fridge and nest together for storage. They do not have lids (but Buckhorn does make a couple of lidded crates). Mine are at least 4 years old and I expect to get at least another 10 years out of them. A guy that sells next to me at a farmers market has some of these lugs that are at least 20 years old and they are in fine shape.

As for things staying crisper in a lidded crate. Yes they do unless you put a towel over top of the lidless crate or put things into plastic bags and than into the lidless crates. For leafy greens what I do is after washing I line the crate with a towel and put the greens in that fold the towel over top of the greens so they are swaddled in toweling. this keeps things crispy for about 5 days in the fridge. for berries i pick into pulp tills than cover the tills with plastic wrap than they go into lugs

Lucy Goodman