market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] veggie crates and coolers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] veggie crates and coolers
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:21:47 -0600

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:45:51PM -0500, Beth Spaugh wrote:

> >I would love advice on where to get reasonably priced crates for veggies.

You might try googling on "chep". They are supplying reusable plastic
crates to bigger growers here in Texas. When empty, CHEP picks them up
from participating grocery stores and cleans them up. So, the growers
are renting them. Cost is $1.25 or more, so they are more expensive
than cardboard boxes. I bought some $1 grey market crates which I find
very handy for potato and onion storage; potatoes, we just hose them off
in the crates. They are not so good for tomatoes because they leave
imprints. They fold down to 1-1.5" thickness for storage.

Acquisition: I don't think CHEP will sell them to you, but you can
check. I bought mine (several hundred) from a produce dealer in a
terminal market. For just a few, you can probably sweet talk a
cooperative produce manager at a grocery store.

For limited ventilation storage of greens, the nesting fold over lidded
solid boxes (about 1 bu) you buy at WalMart etc are very good. They
can be found as low as about $5.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 224 days 10 hours 14 minutes