market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] blackberry bushes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] blackberry bushes
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:29:41 -0800

Blackberry bushes are so rampant all up and down the West Coast I doubt that
you could sell them. Lots of kids (and adults) pick and sell them. I see
them picking all along the roadsides in season. We usually pick a lot for
pies, cobblers Yum!! and jam. I still have a couple bags in the freezer.
They are so heavy and thick along the fence lines that the weight of the snow
on top of them has taken out almost all of my perimeter fences. I understand
now why they are so hated and people spray and burn them out.

I grew up in Colorado. We picked Sarvis berries and choke cherries every
year. Aren't Sarvis, Servis, Saskatoon berries all the same thing? We also
gathered morels in the aspen tree groves in spring as the snow melted back.
Gooseberries and thimble berries were a real treat.

I am pleasantly surprised to find them growing here in SW Oregon. We are
trying to restore parts of the farm to it's original forest. We serpentined
most of the drainage ditches so the water doesn't just run straight through
and off into the roadside ditches. I planted mulberry trees and transplanted
sarvis berries, choke cherries and gooseberry plants from along the fence
lines to the ditch banks. I understand that we have lots of wild
huckleberries in the area. I have never seen them so I don't know what to
look for. As soon as the fall rains begin mushroom buyers sprout up all over
town. I want to take a mushroom class so I know what is safe and what is
not. Lots of Mahonia (Oregon grape) is starting in the trees and under
brush. It appears to be a paradise for herbalists.

I love the wild fruits but I am also hoping that they will keep the birds out
of my cherries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries as they grow and
ripen. I am looking forward to teaching my grandchildren about picking wild
berries too

Margaret