market-farming - [Market-farming] Garlic DNA fingerprinting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garlic DNA fingerprinting
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:55:21 -0500

Paul wrote:

Of course I can't find it now, but this work has been done. As I recall the DNA fingerprinting indicated there are only 5

I belong to the Garlic Seed Foundation and pulled out the latest issue that describes Gayle Volk's study. Her lab did DNA fingerprinting on 211 garlic varieties in the USDA collection and two commercial collections. They found 64% duplication in the USDA collection and 41% in the commercial collection. There are 19 "groups" within the 211 varieties tested -- there is a very complicated chart that you can look up some of the ones you grow and see if you'd overly-duplicating yourself.

This was only a preliminary study and it took 2 years. Hopefully, the Gayle Volk's National Garlic Survey will point to where research needs to go next -- we're not even close to figuring out what all we have (over 800 named varieties and we *know* there is serious duplication) and it's becoming too important a crop for the market grower for the work to continue.

Personally I have cut back from 7 to 2 varieties of hardneck that perform well for me, have obvious morphological differences, and taste great. That decision was customer driven: when asked the the taste difference between varieties, I would reply I coulnd't tell!

You've made exactly the right decision for someone who is actually trying to make a living through garlic rather than us wacko collectors! ;-) I'm getting absolutely ruthless in my trials -- if a variety doesn't perform as well as my benchmarks, there is no point in promoting the seed stock to local growers. I'm looking for maximum growth with minimum effort -- if a chef wants a specific "flavor," regardless of performance, they need to commission a grower to produce it.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of