market-farming - [Market-farming] Garlic from SEED

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marienne & Jerry <marienne AT marienne.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garlic from SEED
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:19:36 -0600

Continuing on the garlic discussion: I let some of my porcelain garlic
(Armenian) go to seed and harvested
the seed. I planted some of it in November and mulched it pretty heavy (zone
3/4). I was thinking of
starting more of it in the greenhouse and transplanting as soon as the soil
can be worked.

My understanding is that the first year I should get a "round" that will
become a full bulb the following
year.

First question: do you think the seed started in the greenhouse will be fine?

Second question: the few sources I've found on this say to transplant the
rounds just like seed cloves.
Can I just leave some of them in the ground? I was thinking of leaving some
at the proper intervals, and
pulling/transplanting the ones in between.

Thanks,
Jerry Ford
Living Song
Howard Lake, MN