market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] not too late for Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dcimmarr AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] not too late for Garlic
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:51:14 EST

I've been following the thread on garlic and wanted to offer a suggestion for those of you who havent planted garlic yet.
Planting the cloves in the spring is a good stategy if you are trying to save what you have from vanishing forever. In most places, spring planting is not favorable for bulb development, however, you have a greenhouse, you may be able to get a somewhat decent harvest from the spring planted bulbs. If you start the cloves in a greenhouse(unheated part of) and plant them out very early spring, the results are almost comparable to fall planted cloves. In my area, Northern Illinois, zone 5....I start them in the greenhouse mid to end of January and plant them out about the end of March. Ive dont this two years in a row with excellent results.
Denise Cimmarrusti