market-farming - [Market-farming] csa/hoophouses/planting garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] csa/hoophouses/planting garlic
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:35:10 -0700

Matt:

Sell What You Sow book has a very good marketing guide for CSAs and other
markets. It does contain the information you are seeking on % responses.
It helped me to realize this area would not have enough bites to do CSA in
any large way due to the distance I or the buyer would need to travel.
Price, quantity, or quality was not the determent factors. Distance to
travel and "perceived" time spent picking up CSA boxes prevents me to do
more at this time. Perceived hassles were our strongest opponent. Nothing
(short of having the food appear in their fridge by magic) could change
perceived notions of problems/hassles.

I got a very good (streets/roads detailed) map of the city and surrounding
area. (I highlighted the "upper income" streets/roads. I drew circles
based upon the driving time from our farm to the city center at an interval
of 5 minutes. The driving time would have been 30 minutes for 35% of
possible clients. That won't work The remaining 65% potential customers
would not trickle down to enough customers to maintain a large CSA.

This "targeting" will help you to decide on advertising too. I spend so
much less on mailed flyers and paid advertising with this "target map" at my
disposal. I find targeting groups first makes much more economical sense
than random and widespread flyers. You may also need a license to sell (by
flyer) inside a city. Advertising in the city may be considered doing retail
business in a city and may require a license. So you need to check with
local authorities.

Target high-end streets and places frequented by high-end customers first.
Don't forget churches, VFW, senior centers, high-end clothing stores, pet
stores*, feed stores, oil and lube garages, full service stations, fire
stations, etc. Volunteer and private organizations usually are maintained
by folks with disposable incomes and no time for gardening! :-) First seek
folks concerned with quality than price. For each one of these to respond,
one relative will call too. (*excellent source-some owners buy fresh
veggies for pooches)

Okay a high-end restaurant may not allow you to put up a flyer, but the shop
next door? What about a shop next to a high-end natural foods store?

I don't know what it is like in your area, but delivery had many issues. In
the end, most customers did NOT want deliveries. Talking and listening to
area residents (customers and non-customers) the only "do-able" CSA to
them:
1. Drive within 10 minutes of home to pick up in a part of town they would
be going to at any rate (on the way to the bank, post office, etc).
2. No home deliveries. There were many reasons given.
3. Quick exchange. No chat. No waiting.
4. Pay at time of pick-up. Some of our best customers would not pick up eggs
and pay us earlier or later (weekly/monthly/etc. We gave several that
option. All refused.

We tried to find a place to set up a "pick-up spot". That didn't work. I
found one in the county within one mile of the city line. Half of the
customers said, "We don't go down that part of town often." Our city limits
is 4 miles long by 2 miles wide!

I personally try to maximize my current sales base first before starting on
a campaign as you suggest. What can I do to sell more to the customers I
already have? How can I get my customers to sell for me? (I have several
customer that buy with family members. First they bought. Then mom came
over for a meal. Then mom began to buy. Then sister heard about it from
mom. etc) Maybe you could offer less delivery fee for two or more orders
delivered to one residence. Saves you time and money. And the customers
perceive to save money. Any time a customer feels they save money with
you-WOW it is a loyalty thing you cannot buy. If I can save my customers
money without cutting quality or my profit, I go to the ends of the world to
do it. They so appreciate it! And it assures repeat sales for us! We all
like to think we are saving money. That is what those grocery flyers each
week are all about!

Hoophouses: I built cattle panel ones and spent around $50-70 each.

Joan,
<<<<but with 12 grandchildren and 8 children and families>>>
Sounds like just the thing for a Planting Party! Keeps the kids busy and
the parents fit! What a treasure trove of free labor!!!