market-farming - [Market-farming] Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garlic
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:58:23 -0600

I have a question for our resident garlic expert on the list. Due to a
series of activities, etc. I have 20 or 25 pounds of seed garlic in my
basement instead of in the field and its making me crazy! We've have fields
that are too wet to get into lately and thus I'm trying to figure out how to
pull this out.

Right now I'm wondering if I should go on and put the garlic in the cooler
(at 40ยบ) to at least get it cold - or should it be colder? I'm also
worrying about putting garlic in sort of frozen ground - is that a stupid
thing to do if and when we can get in there and till in the next few weeks?

We've always been know for our garlic and I absolutely hate to miss a season
but have never planted later than mid-November. We are in east/central
Kansas if that helps.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas