market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE: Economics of starting a market garden enterprise

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <lizpike AT surry.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: Economics of starting a market garden enterprise
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:24:49 -0500

Hey John,

Sending your compilation through the list is fine and since it's lengthy you could break it up into 2-3 parts for those on slow connections.  Also, I'd like to post it to the marketfarmer website, with credit to you for compiling it, if that's ok with you.

As for me making it as a mfer, in my area, I had to "value-add" to my skills.  I'm just about finished with farrier school and it's already helping with the bottom line.

Interesting enough, as I'm out and about going to clients to shoe, I can't help but search out the piles of manure/shavings/straw and seeing it as pure gold for market farming.  And then I start asking folks if they garden and if they're interested in getting some fresh produce--most of these folk have more than enough space to garden but don't.   And I'm constantly picking their brains to learn just what they do to keep making it on their land.  Some are organic farmers, some are strictly horse people, but all are driven to earn their living from the land.

Liz