market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash Bugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Gail Hoskisson <moabgail AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash Bugs
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:34:38 -0600

on 9/18/04 10:31 AM, Kevin Wilson at kevin.wilson100 AT shaw.ca wrote:

> How about a vacuum cleaner?

on 9/20/04 7:02 AM, Bill Shoemaker at wshoemak AT inil.com wrote:

> try using a shop-vac to suck them off the
> plant. That family of insects (the true "bugs") seems to be susceptible to
> that strategy. It's not susceptible to much else, unless you want to pick
> them off by hand. If you're not against using an organic pyrethrin
> insecticide, you might want to spray them with that first to weaken them so
> they're easier to remove from the plants with the vacuum.

Thanks so much to you all for the suggestions. I'm still surprised and
grinning about the idea of taking a vacuum to them but if the peroxide
mixture doesn't work, that's what I'll try next after confusing the little
buggers with some pyrethrin so they don't scramble away as soon as I lift
the leaves.

Gail