market-farming - [Market-farming] Pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "maureen bostock" <maureenbostock AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pricing
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:59:51 -0700

I think it is bad for everybody if market vending prices are raised to make it harder on the folks who are selling their produce cheaply.

We who market vegetables should realize that there will always be people who will give away what we seek to make a living on. Its actually a good thing that there is cheap food available even if it means that I have a harder time selling my produce. People who give it away are not in competition with us - they are enjoying the extraordinary bounty of growing food. We have to recognize that it is in everybody's interests including ourselves if more and more people grow their own.

One solution is to become certified organic. This differentiates your produce from the backyard producer and enables you to sell to the people who are seeking certified organic produce at your market place. As a certified organic grower I sell everything I produce at a good price.

Another is to grow unusual varieties of various vegetables. This also enables your customer to experience the wide range of tastes available in heritage/heirloom varieties.

Maureen Bostock

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.

  • [Market-farming] Pricing, maureen bostock, 09/23/2004