market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pie pumpkins

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Grow19 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pie pumpkins
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:16:57 EDT

this is so fun to read about.
one year i asked farmers at my local farmers' market why the pumpkin one buys in a can is so dark and flavorful and compact but the pumpkin that one takes home is pale and less flavorful.  no one had a good answer except to say that the pumpkin in the can has had much of the water evaporated out of it to concentrate it.  so i began experimenting and purchased different deep dark orange varieties and found that if I baked, pureed, and slowly cooked it on top of the stove so the water would evaporate out, the end result was compact and dark, sweet and flavorful.

any more info on this would be welcome!

judy tiger, washington dc