market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Shade and Lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cheselka AT theriver.com" <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Shade and Lettuce
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:22:39 -0400

Allen, I use shade cloth (actually floating row cover) tunnels year round
for my lettuce production. It works REALLY REALLY well. The row cover I
use is about 75% transmissive. In the heat of the summer (temps above
100F) it keeps the lettuces cooler and out of direct sunlight. In the
winter (low temps will get into the single digits for a 7-10 days, and
frost from mid Nov - mid April), it keeps the frost off and the cold out,
and also warms up during the day. As a result, I've had pretty much
continuous lettuce production since July 2003. Growth slowed quite a bit
during the winter (105 days for full growth instead of 60 days), but other
than that, they've all been beautiful!

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce

http://mail2web.com/ .