market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raising Ladybugs and Other Beneficials

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raising Ladybugs and Other Beneficials
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:44:38 -0400

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:19:44 -0500, you wrote:

>This year I decided to raise an acre garden full of all kinds of veggies and
>melons for the local Farmer's Market. The aphids were really bad, so I
>decided to use a spray that has capsaicin oil in it (the stuff that makes
>peppers hot). Well, there was a problem with shipping and the spray never
>arrived. The other day, I was out picking okra, and the plants were just
>loaded with lady bugs. Everything is under control now, but there was
>significant damage before the Ladybug population grew large enough to take
>care of the problem. Now my question, I'd like to raising Ladybugs and
>maybe some other beneficials so I can put them out before there's so much
>damage. I'm also a beekeeper, so I do have some experience in raising
>insects. How much more difficult can it be to raise other types? Anyone
>know how I can get started - references, how-to books, personal experience,
>etc...?

It might be more cost-effective to buy them unless you just
think it would be fun to raise them. (This is possible, of
course.)

http://www.gardensalive.com sells them, as do (no doubt)
other places.

Have you thought of asking your Extension Agent? This is
the type of information that I believe they would have. If
your County Agent doesn't have this information, they should
be willing to get it for you from the State Extension
Office.

This must be my day for recommending Extension Agents: not
only on this list, but on another one as well. Let's make
those Extension Offices earn their keep! <g>

We are, after all, paying their salaries.

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful