market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 20, Issue 3

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 20, Issue 3
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:01:44 -0600

Dorene,

I can see you care about this man and his farm. But in posting, you have
just promoted negative images of this man and his product. It certainly
will not help him if others on the list in PA are reading this post.

If you are brave enough to tell folks that could be his potential customers,
then you are brave enough to tell him to his face. He may not like it. But
if enough good customers are brave, he will listen. You may be saving a
farm and a man's livelihood here. I would not hesitate to tell him.

being confrontational. "Have you switched breeds of cows? Your product
isn't the same as last year. OR My sister and I really were gluttons over
your product last year. Did you change processing methods? This is just
not the same." (Not being "the same" does not suggest bad, just not what
you have come to expect.) His answers can give you clues if this is a
transitional thing or if the product has completely changed and no longer
worth your dollars.

You will find the majority of farmers care about their customers and
products. He will probably listen even if he doesn't seem to listen. He
might have tried something different to cut costs or something.

Or you could just let his profit and loss statement show him the loss of his
customer base. It is up to you. I don't envy your situation.

I wish more of my customers would speak to me. Give me the opportunity to
make the product better. Don't go off quietly!!!

Hey LIST: Any suggestions to create open discussion with customers? We
don't want them telling us to do things that are not profitable, but it
would be nice to get feedback. How do we direct customers to give
constructive feedback without giving them a feeling they can control our
farm production?

Christina

  • [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 20, Issue 3, mtlivestock, 09/03/2004