market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter Squash Harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter Squash Harvest
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:20:27 -0400

Everybody's pumpkin and winter squash crop was damaged in NJ this year. We were hit with downy mildew early in July a disease that normally shows up in late August. This stunted the crop at the point of fastest growth. Heavy rains brought on Phytophtora rot which took advantage of the weakened plants along with powdery mildew that appeared two weeks ago in the state. This is the second year in a row NJ farmers will loose out on the fall pumpkin crop.
Strong coastal storms are responsible for bringing up a host of pesticide resistant insects and diseases from the deep south this year...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

bob111higgins AT comcast.net wrote:

Hi All:

Just an update on my first pumpkin and acorn squash efforts on a larger scale (previously a few of each for the table; this year about 60 plants in all):

Planted June 15 in NJ Z6. Beautiful plants until August 1 -- Howden and Jack B Little, and waltham acorn. Not a borer in sight, no squash bugs. But should have used a preventive spray all along (I like Soap Shield from Garden Way) as the late July and August wet weather turned most vines awful looking in the space of 2 weeks. Remedial spraying helped some, but most vines are on their last legs. And with the wilts and yellows have come the pests attacking weakened plants.

Even worse, very little fruit set. Perhaps ten pumpkins and ten acorns. Yikes!  A lot of work for nothing, esp. saving the seedlings from the #$@ crows. But, live and learn. Next time I am going to interplant with white clover and beneficials to encourage pollinators and to keep down diseases lurking in the soil..

Bob Higgins, Red Brick Farm, Hopewell NJ